Is your love a click away?
Is your love a click away?
So, perhaps it has been a while since your dating days and you are probably looking for different things today than you were back then, but isn’t finding companionship valuable at any age? The reality is that as time goes by, the opportunities to meet someone become fewer and fewer; you might be retired, you put down your dancing shoes a while ago or you’re not as active as you used to be. The good news is that thanks to online dating, finding love has never been easier; the bad news is that this experience can be a bit overwhelming… However, if you keep an open mind and take it easy, online dating could turn out to be very rewarding.
Some surprising facts and numbers
- In the USA, people over 55 are the fastest growing group on online dating sites
- In Australia 1 in 20 respondents over the age of 65 have used email to say “I love you” for the first time
- In Australia, 17 percent of marriages in 2012 began on an online dating site
Find the site for you
Now that you know that you are not alone and hopefully you have left any psychological barriers behind, the next step is finding the ideal service to join. There is a large range of services out there targeting different groups and using different approaches to finding love. In addition, recently the number of services that exclusively target seniors is growing. Here are a few: www.silversingles.com, www.olderdatingagency.com and www.seniorscircle.com. When you have so many options, perhaps the best way to pick a service is by visiting different websites, checking their approaches, costs and target audience.
Dos & Don’ts
- Do invest time in creating a profile that reflects you accurately (consult with others and ask for help from friends and family)
- Don’t lie (people tend to lie about their height, age and weight). Be true to yourself.
- Do upload at least 3 photos
- Don’t use photos from 20 years ago.
- Do give the process time, stay positive, open-minded and be patient
- Don’t be afraid to contact people that you like
- Do be aware of red flags for example: an unusual e-mail address such as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t reveal confidential information such as banking details, home address etc.
- Do meet first dates in public places and make sure that someone knows where you are
- Don’t wait too long until you meet someone in person, it can save you from building high expectations
That’s it for now but as there is so much to cover on this lovely topic, we promise to keep providing more content and we are already working on another story with some useful tips for building the ultimate online profile.